Following our nomination by Tacoma Mayor Bill Baarsma, and a long period of vetting, SiteCrafting was notified that we had been selected by the ICIC as a recipient of one of the top 100 fastest growing companies in inner-city areas in the US. It turns out Tacoma is considered inner-city eligible (though I've never really thought of it that way). In any case, over 800 companies were nominated and only 100 made the cut for recognition in Boston. We were one of three in Washington State.
The event is put on by Harvard Business School, Bloomberg Business Week, and several other sponsors including Bank of America, Staples Foundation, etc. ICIC was founded in 1994 by Harvard Profession Michael Porter - you can learn more about ICIC here.
The three day trip included a welcome reception at the Boston Library, a full day of business roundtable discussions and case studies at Harvard Business School, and the culminating event at the Boston Convention Center where the ICIC list was revealed. We took in a ton of information during our short time in Boston, but here are some of my highlights.
- My first night I took a trip to Fenway Park to watch the Red Sox play the Angels. As a baseball fan and player, this was a dream come true.
- A self guided walking tour of downtown Boston, Boston Common, and Historic places like the Old Statehouse, Boston Massacre site, Faneuil Hall, Old North Church, USS Constitution, Boston Tea Party site, Paul Revere's house, etc.
- A few morning runs around downtown and Boston Harbor
- Meeting and learning from CEOs of other organizations that are growing, thriving, and facing similar pressures and concerns as SiteCrafting
- Stealing out a bit early for a tour of the Samuel Adams Brewery - Thanks Ken and Scott from New York for driving (and suggesting it)
- Falling in love with a city that never really appealed to me before actually visiting - I love Boston (in the springtime)
Overall the trip was fantastic, the ICIC, Harvard Business School and Bloomberg Business Week were excellent hosts.
Here's some more coverage of the event:
Awards / Recognition