Why this job is important
We have recently retired hosting a number of servers and other equipment from a couple colocation centers and need assistance with the hardware that previously was in use. Our team is busy with other responsibilities and the bandwidth to deal with these tasks isn’t possible with current resources, at least without pulling them away from those higher priorities. Additionally, we have tasks specific to our internal infrastructure that have been back-burnered for quite awhile that need to be acted on to help the rest of our team continue doing great work.
What you will be responsible for
This is an mid-level position, with the expectation that tasks can be completed without the need for a lot of direct oversight. A good idea of the variety of responsibilities are below, though those may change over time as we refine processes or adapt to shifting priorities.
- Review existing hardware details in asset tracking tool and modify as necessary to provide an accurate picture of hardware.
- Determine which of our existing hardware has a reasonable internal use case and which should be retired.
- For any hardware to be retired, determine appropriate method of disposal (e.g. sale, recycle) and estimated price point for each, if it is to be sold.
- Securely format all hard drives from existing hardware.
- Install network switch in server rack, configure switch as needed
- Connect existing, unused ports to new switch to provide connectivity throughout office. Confirm newly connected ports are working properly,
- Migrate existing PFSense firewall to improved hardware. Develop a plan for the upgrade/migration, implement the changes, and thoroughly test networking to ensure seamless transition.
- Migrate or rebuild the server that handles our various installations of Windows/Internet Explorer virtual machines
- Organize and/or determine best use for all other related hardware from recent migration (e.g. cabling).
- Implement a program to store and distribute credentials and sensitive information securely.
- Manage the infrastructure supporting internal systems and services.
- Address security and performance concerns with systems.
- Monitor servers and respond to issues, including preemptively addressing potential problems discovered through monitoring.
- Produce and maintain quality documentation.
How to know you're right for the job
- You know your way around a server room, have experience racking and unracking equipment, and can troubleshoot networking and hardware issues
- You have experience working with virtual machines running a variety of operating systems, especially Debian and Ubuntu.
- You can keep multiple projects moving forward at the same time, while being able to prioritize appropriately and stay focussed on the task at hand.
- Using a ticket tracking system isn’t a big deal, and maybe is something you’ve even managed before.
- Attention to detail is one of your strong suits.
- You are integrity-driven and look to always do right by people.
- You are a clear, straightforward communicator when speaking and writing.
- You aren’t afraid of providing open, honest communication to teammates or clients.
- You are ready to go all-in on a job and give your best to succeed as a part of this team.
Who you will work with
This role will primarily work with our Systems Administrator and our Director of Technology (which this role reports to), though you may also have opportunity to work with other members of our team. Eventually there may be a need to work directly with clients and vendors, with most of that interaction happening over email or phone.
Where you’ll work
This position requires being on-premises at our headquarters in Tacoma, WA for the majority of your tasks. Some tasks (e.g. testing firewall configurations) may require remote work, though that will be relatively rare.
How we hire
Our hiring process begins with reviewing resumes and cover letters, searching for the candidates that appear to meet our needs. If it seems like a good fit, we’ll be in touch to set up a call to talk more about the position, what we do, and what you’re looking for out of a job. After that, the next step will either be an on-site or video interview with the team, depending on your location. Those interviews usually take an hour or two and should give both of us a good idea of if we want to move forward with the hiring process.
We want to make sure we find the right person for this role, so it may take a little time until we wrap up the hiring process. Our hire really needs to be the right fit for our team, but we also need to be the right fit for you. This posting will stay open until filled, with the desire to have the new team member start by Sep 25, 2017.
We believe that a diverse and vibrant company contributes to critical thinking, excellence, and success for our customers. We welcome applicants who bring a diversity of identity, culture, experience, perspective, and thought
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required of employees assigned to this position. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
Click here to easily apply for this position