It’s strange to think that this time last year we were sharing gift guides for people who work in open offices. I still recommend the wireless noise-canceling headphones and the hand sanitizer and disinfectant wipes, but for sliiightly different reasons this year.
As I considered what our 2020 holiday gift guide should include, I thought about the distinct challenges our small business community has faced this year. I also thought about how the holidays will likely look different for many of us. A season typically marked by togetherness replaced by smaller gatherings, mailed gifts and video calls.
The purpose of this gift guide is two-fold — to help you meaningfully connect with others this season through thoughtful gifts, while supporting treasured small businesses in our community. Happy gifting!
- Nothing says holiday spirit like spirits. Field Bar & Bottle Shop offers thoughtfully curated wines, specialty beer and ciders, and spirits — something to stuff in every sipper’s stocking.
- “The Fat and Moon bath soak from Little Sister is one of my favorites. It came into my life by way as a gift from a friend and remains a staple in my wind-down routine. If you’re looking for gifts for people on your list, peruse the Pantry + Home section of the Our Little Sister shop website.” – Jen, SiteCrafting Brand Manager
- Tree huggers rejoice! Give a gift that your loved ones and the earth will love from A Drop in the Ocean — a sustainable living boutique that specializes in alternatives to everyday products. I love these reusable shopping bags that support female survivors of violence in Rwanda.
- The combination of daylight savings and cold weather has me yearning for extra life and energy inside my home this winter. Enter: houseplants. My favorite neighborhood plant shops include Fernseed, Jade and Co. and Gardensphere.
Pro tip: Send succulents to friends you wouldn’t trust to dogsit for you. 🌵
- This cuddle blanket from Crest Home is aptly named. It makes me want to curl up on my couch and watch Hallmark Christmas specials with cocoa in-hand for the entire month of December.
- Looking to give gifts that give back this holiday season? MiiR is a certified B corporation with a commitment to transparent generosity. They also make super rad drinkware for coffee connoisseurs, wine enthusiasts, beer buddies or virtual teammates. I just ordered this Unity Camp Cup for a friend of mine.
- Give a PNW-inspired gift this season with Campfire Coffee. Campfire blends the richness of a good cup of coffee and the experience of the great outdoors with its campfire-roasted coffee. It’s quickly become a Tacoma and a team favorite.
- The Powells billboard says it all. King’s Books and Browsers are the best local gems to pick up a memoir or mystery for the readers in your life.
- My record player is one of my favorite parts of my home. A steaming cup of coffee and Caamp on vinyl makes for the coziest Saturday mornings. Make Saturdays better for the music-lover in your life with vinyl from Hi-Voltage Records.
- As an outdoor and coffee enthusiast, there isn’t a single thing in Ember Goods that I wouldn’t recommend buying, but I especially love these sleeping bag blankets (featured on Shark Tank!) and the Ember Roast.
- I walked into Proctor Mercantile for the first time a few weeks ago and wanted to buy everything in the store, but my wallet and I settled on this beautiful swaddle and Bee Kind beanie for my niece.
- I started getting really into cooking at the beginning of this year and my biggest takeaway from all of the shows I’ve watched and books I’ve read is to find yourself a good butcher. Blue Max Meats hits the mark.
- Like I said, I’ve really enjoyed cooking this year, but sometimes it’s nice to have a night off. Give the gift a delicious, dish-free evening with a gift card to your favorite local spot. Here are some SiteCrafting staff favorites:
- Tacoma: Quickie Too, Viva, Toast Mi, The Table, Brewer’s Row, Wooden City, Asado, Cactus, Gateway to India, Over the Moon, En Rama, Silk Thai, Cook’s Tavern, Peaks & Pints, Happy Teriyaki, Dirty Oscar’s Annex, Loak Toung Thai, Galanga Thai
- Puyallup: Fiesta Taqueria, Farm 12, Fierce County Cider, West Pioneer Grill